The history of the Hotel Heiligkreuz

The foundation walls of this time-honored have been resting here for centuries.

Illustration of Hall and "Heilig Creuz" (=holy cross)

The district Heiligkreuz, on the bank of the alluvial land of the river Inn, was settled thousands of years ago and used as a storage and dwelling place. One of the oldest relics of the area was found in the garden behind our hotel – a Stone Age arrowhead.

The name “Heiligkreuz” dates back to an old legend. A crucifix was washed ashore in the water meadows of Hall. It was put up and worshipped in Heiligkreuz (the english name for Heiligkreuz is holy cross).

The hotel building isn’t of a much younger date. It was erected beside a mineral spring which was first mentioned in 1342.

Church and the hotel about 1790

Dr Joseph Hirn (at the time of Archduke Ferdinand II of Tyrol) wrote, “The citizens of Innsbruck and Hall proceeded to Heiligkreuz, and its water was also delivered to Ferdinand’s court for baths.”

Later, at the time when salt was mined in the Hall Valley, people could bathe in the “Bath Hotel”, as it was then called (and is often called so still today), in curative saltwater.

Since 1954 the family Eisendle has been managing the Hotel Heiligkreuz, now in the third generation. Following numerous modifications and renovations the hotel was officially graded 4-star in May 2004.

1955; Helmut Eisendle (left), mother
Juliana Eisendle (right) and little Johann
Eisendle with french guests. 

In spring 2008 we finnished the last renovation: eight rooms in the superior category and a juniorsuite with terrace offer probably the highest comfort in the region Hall in Tirol. One room is equiped for disabled people offers an own parking lot and is attainable without barriers.

Enquire & book a room


Austria Classic Hotel Heiligkreuz****
Reimmichlstrasse 18 - 6060 Hall in Tirol - Austria
Tel: +43 (0) 5223 57114 - Fax: +43 (0) 5223 57114-5 - info@heiligkreuz.at